January 13th, 2011
PowerSchool’s Photo Management function allows schools to import their own student and staff photos.
Prepare the photos
- The photos must be in JPEG format with a file extension of .jpeg or .jpg
- The photos should be 200 pixels wide by 300 pixels high
- The photos need to be zipped – Select all photos and choose to zip. Do not put the photos in a folder and zip the folder, do not include any other files besides the photos in the zipped file.
Prepare the Mapping file
A mapping file needs to be created to match each student’s PowerSchool student_number or staff member’s teachernumber to the file name of the student photo.
- Column 1 of the file should be the student_number or Staff Id.
- A Student’s PowerSchool number is located on the Demographics screen in the line labeled Student Number
- Staff Id’s are on the Edit Information screen in the line labeled ID
- Student Numbers and Staff Id’s can be exported to make the mapping process easier.
- Column 2 should be the name of the photo.
- Column headings are not required.
- The name of the photo is case sensitive and must include the file extension.
- Do not include students and staff together in the same mapping file.
- The mapping file needs to be saved as a text (tab delimited file).
Photos can be imported by school or at the District level.
- In PowerSchool Click the System link on the left side of the screen
- Click the Photo Management link
- Click Import Pictures
- Choose if you are importing Students or Staff
- Click the Browse button on the first line and choose the Zip file containing the photos
- Click the Browse button on the second line and choose the mapping file
- Make sure the mapping type is set to Student/Staff Number
- Click Upload
- The Resulting screen will display how many photos imported and how many did not.